Sunday, July 14

DIY: Steamed Pork Rice

Everybody knows that Cebu is famous for their tasty and succulent roasted pig, "Lechon". However, it is not known to tourists that Cebu is also popular for the Dim Sum dish, Steamed Pork Rice (a.k.a Pork Steamed Rice). During lunch hour, locals flock to the nearest Dim Sum resto and have a bowl of this famous dish. Its fast, easy, and delicious!

I remember when I was still in grade school, my mom used to bring me to Lumpia House or Harbor City everyday because I wouldn't eat anything else. I was addicted to this bowl of porky goodness, and to this day, it is still my go-to comfort food.

It's basically fried rice topped with a steaming  thick stew-like delicious mixture of pork and peas. The smell of the dish itself is enough to make my mouth water.Some like their steamed rice dry, but I love 'em soupy. I often pair this with fried wantons or shanghai rolls because they compliment the thick texture of the pork toppings, and if you add a little sweet and sour sauce it will make your taste buds roar. Trust me, your mouth is going to have a party once you taste this dish.

I tried this at home a few days ago, and it was gone in one sitting!

Try it and tell me what you think.

Steamed Pork Rice




Makes: 3
Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 green onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup green peas (frozen,fresh, or preserved)
1/2 cup dried shrimp (you may also use fresh medium sized shrimp, cleaned and deveined)
250 grams pork sirloin (cubed) - you may also use "adobo cut" pieces, just make sure to chop it into bite-size bits
1/2 cup cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup of cold water
3 cups of water
1/4 cup soy sauce
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. sesame oil
3 cups fried rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil

How to cook:


  1. Heat oil in pan. Saute garlic and onions until caramelized or until the onions are translucent.
  2. Put in pork and stir occasionally until all sides are cooked. Season with salt and pepper. You may add the shrimps at this point.
  3. Pour in water and bring to a boil.
  4. Add in cornstarch mixture and let it simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Mix well.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Serve on top of fried rice.


Tips:


  • Fry rice in a tablespoon of sesame oil and add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to add color.Mix well.
  • You can add artificial flavors (MSG), if desired.
  • If you are using preserved peas or dried shrimp, make sure to wash thoroughly.
  • You may add more cornstarch mixture if you want a thicker sauce.
  • Best served when hot.


Enjoy!
請享用。

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I love steamed fried rice too! The smell brings back memories of childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete