Saturday, June 29

Korean Spicy Bacon: Hot Hypertensive Heaven

I've always had a soft spot for Korean food. Next to that spot for Japanese food, and Filipino food, Italian….Okay, so I have a soft spot for food in general! But, there’s something about the dark red shades and distinctive smell of Korean cuisine that makes my mouth water. The hot and spicy soup bowls that make you sweat profusely. The fermented cabbage and radish that smells so bad, but tastes oh so good (it’s not that bad, really. It just takes getting used to). The smell of sesame oil in delicious Korean barbecue makes me feel like I’m in Korean heaven! Oh, and let’s not forget the FISH ICE CREAM!!! Better than that overrated Belgian chocolate crusted ice cream. And as my friend Xander always say, it’s better than sex (let’s hope my mom doesn't read this).

I was never really a fan of Korean food at first because I thought all of their dishes were fermented (forgive my temporary stupidity), but I tried a bite of kimchi in one of those over-the-top buffets, and It wasn't so bad. My friend Ozzie is a big fan of Korean cuisine and she would treat me to “Samgyupsal” every once in a while, I got hooked. Maybe it also helps that there are a lot of good Korean restaurants in the city.  
One of those Samgyupsal nights with Ozzie and Len.


It’s cold and wet out, a perfect day to make a fiery dish. So I decided to cook Daeji Bulgogi, its spicy bacon strips stir fried to hypertensive perfection. This will make your taste buds roar! If you think it’s too spicy for you, you can always eat more rice or drink cold water. Hahaha.    


KOREAN STIR FRY SPICY PORK “DAEJI BULGOGI”





Ingredients:

500 grams bacon
2 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chili paste
3 tbsp bulgogi paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 green onion roughly chopped
Onion leaves chopped into one inch pieces
Chopped chili (for garnish)

Procedure:

1.       Combine all ingredients except onion, onion leaves and chili. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
2.       In a pan, saute onions and onion leaves until onion becomes clear.
3.       Add in the marinade and cook for 15 minutes with occasional stirring.
4.       You may add a little more bulgogi sauce if you find it a little dry.

5.       Serve in plate and top with chili. Serves 5 people.



DEUSEYO!
드세요


No comments:

Post a Comment